Neil Young fears for his return home if he ‘talks about Trump’ again

He's expected at Glastonbury in June.

Neil Young fears for his return home if he ‘talks about Trump’ again
Neil Young is concerned he won’t be able to go home after touring (Picture: Gary Miller/Getty Images)

Glastonbury headliner Neil Young is worried his European tour could result in him being blocked from re-entering the United States.

Neil, 79, is originally from Canada but holds dual citizenship as of 2020 and splits his time between the neighbouring countries.

He’s worried that his outspoken criticism of American President Donald Trump will mean he is barred from entering the country after the international leg of his tour.

This comes as reports continue to grow that people are being detained and deported, such as punk band UK Subs, after criticising who Neil calls the ‘worst president in history’.

The Trump administration is proposing travel bans on a number of countries, although the UK is not thought to be on the potential list.

Writing on his website, Neil said: ‘When I go to play music in Europe, if I talk about Donald J. Trump, I may be one of those returning to America who is barred or put in jail to sleep on a cement floor with an aluminum blanket.’

He’s been an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump (Picture: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)

The Heart of Gold hitmaker continued: ‘That is happening all the time now. Countries have new advice for those returning to America. You can read about it at the Canada Desk.

‘If I come back from Europe and am barred, can’t play my USA tour, all of the folks who bought tickets will not be able to come to a concert by me.

‘That’s right folks, if you say anything bad about Trump or his administration, you may be barred from re-entering USA. If you are Canadian. If you are a dual citizen like me, who knows?’

Only too aware that nothing can prevent the decision of the US border force, he added: ‘We’ll all find that out together.’

Neil called the situation a threat to freedom of speech and asked: ‘If the fact that I think Donald Trump is the worst president in the history of our great country could stop me from coming back, what does that say for Freedom?

Reports have emerged that those speaking against him are being blocked from re-entry (Picture: Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Slamming this ‘non-existent Trump law’, the Godfather of Grunge questioned if it would escalate beyond just speaking out and people who voted against Trump would be arrested.

‘How spineless is that?’ he continued. ‘Trump is not able to stand up to anyone who does not agree with his ideas?’

Neil concluded: ‘One country, indivisible, with Liberty and Freedom for all. Remember that? I do.’

While this was posted on April Fools Day, given the rocker’s previous comments about the current US president, he’s probably not joking.

As well as a headlining turn at Glastonbury, Neil is touring across the UK and Europe in June before returning home in August.

Neil asked what happened to the right to free speech (Picture: Astrida Valigorsky/Getty Images)

His first American gig is on August 8 in Charlotte, North Carolina, followed by a September 15 performance at the Hollywood Bowl.

Neil has previously filed against the Trump campaign to bar them from using his songs in 2020.

Rockin’ in the Free World and Devil’s Sidewalk were specifically listed in legal documents obtained at the time by TMZ.

The For What It’s Worth hitmaker said he ‘in good conscience cannot allow his music to be used as a “theme song” for a divisive, un-American campaign of ignorance and hate.’

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.